- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 16 oz. ground beef, lean
- 8 oz. raw bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, course
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 medium Farmer's Promise white onions, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, diced remove seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- ¼ c. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 oz. lager-style beer
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz. can tomatoes and green chilies
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
In a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot warm oil over medium high heat. When hot, add the beef, bacon, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, 6-8 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onions and peppers to the pot and cook until soft and lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 6-8minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until dark red, about 2minutes.
Return the beef and bacon to the pot then add beer, being sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to release the browned bits. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, beans, and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
When finished, remove from heat and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve hot topped with garnish like sour cream, Cheddar cheese, fresh jalapenos, diced white onions and cilantro with a side of tortillas or tortilla chips.